Prime Minister Hun Sen inauguarated first overpass on Thursday 24 June 2010. This overpass would help to avoid traffic jame along Preah Monivong Boulevard. The new "Sky bridge" costs of US$ 6 million, it is the first overpass in Cambodia. It was born. There will be second, thirsd, fourth and so on.
PM Hun Sen annouced that the municipality is conducting a feasibility study for a second overpass -- this one to be build on Russian Federation Blvd near Preah Kossamak Hospital- that he said would help to faciliate the dialy commute of around 170, 000 vehicles and 800,000 motorbikes.
“According to our data ... the number of motorbike fatalities from head injuries decreased from 86 percent in 2008 to 76 percent in 2009 because more people are wearing helmets,” he said.
In 2008, there were 297 road fatalities in Phnom Penh and 1,638 throughout Cambodia, while last year saw 243 road fatalities in the capital and 1,717 throughout the Kingdom, he said.
Phnom Penh traffic police chief Heng Chantheary said he estimated that 90 to 95 percent of the public obeyed traffic laws, and that most violators were young people.
“In general, we have seen that the number of traffic accidents has decreased because more people are respecting the laws these days,” he said.
“Accidents usually occur when people are driving drunk or driving over the speed limit.”
(source from Phnompenh post newspaper, Friday 25 June 2010)
Saturday, June 26, 2010
- Bank's golden opportunity
- Island project sparks concerns
- First Cambodia overpass road cut ribbon by PM
- Govt seeks to boost tourist arrivals by land
- On the Frontier of investment
- Decentralisation gets a mixed NGO review
- Buzz of success for forest honey hunters
- Restoration of Baphuon temple
- Arrest in Samlot land row
- Market plan meets rejection
- Nine most horrible places in the world-Bassac apar...
- Cambodian PM says war left over 90,000 disabled pe...
- Cotton exports
- PP gold dealers sell at record prices
- Vietnam to boost investment in Kingdom's rubber in...
- Modern Masterpieces
- Vision for Eco Resort Island continues in Cambodia...
- WING launches bill payments
- Bourse seminar
- tech 'tipping point'
- PP Water awards tender
- Asia-Pacific air growth heads for the skies
- Housing for the poor
- Turning data into a precious asset
- Cambodia: Real estate boost predicted
- Nation preps to drop tariffs
- Education from commerce
- ACLEDA set to launch Unity mobile banking
- World Bank consults with Cambodia on ‘constitution...
- World Bank applauds Cambodia for success in financ...
- Cambodia Cashew price spikes at end of harvest
- Int'l organizations help digging wells for Cambodi...
- Cambodia applies for coastline award to promote to...
- Khmer alt-rock band releases first album
- Lakeside corruption claim
- UN raises concerns over Cambodia's human rights re...
- The demise of Cambodia's cyclo drivers
- Cambodia's cyclo drivers pin hopes on tourism
- UN official accuses Cambodia of human rights breac...
- How plastic bag was banned in Cambodia
- Cambodia: No depicting statue of living politicial...
- Meeting of GMAC for garment wage increase
- Cambodian national anthem
- Pom Savada Khmer song in Karaoke format
- Japanese photos capture life in Cambodia
- Wholesaler eyes Cambodia-made chocolate
- Cyclo drivers face losing their occupation
- Rubbish exhibits with an aim to clean up city
- Fund manager warns not to link GDP, stocks
- A fund with a future in Cambodia
- Vietnam investors hit Cambodia
- Assessing Cambodia's HR needs
- Cambodia Business Arbitrators to start their train...
- Canadia Tower pencilled in as temporary bourse hom...
- CDC approves $230m in agro investments from across...
- Two men sentenced to 2 years after land dispute wi...
- Cambodia: 60,000 sign land-dispute petition
- Battambang labourers to demand back pay
- Govt to launch policy protecting migrant labourers...
- Khmer Govt OKs guide to resettlement
- Cambodia Govt aims for trade union law next year
- Cambodia: Draft union law is sent out for consulta...
- Cambodia: Property law changes in pipeline
- ▼ June (63)